Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Emily MannistoEmily Mannisto
    Keymaster

Hey AGC people who wear women’s apparel and use women’s gear –

I’ve found a pretty sizeable lacking in technical apparel that fits me well (I’m 5’2 and about 115lbs) which is kind of surprising because I feel like I know a lot of women who are petite climbers. I can find plenty of yoga pants and stuff like that, but struggle with hardshells, climbing pants, alpine packs, etc. that work. One of my friends who is a guide can’t find a big wall harness that fits her.

I also am frustrated by the color selection – IDK about you but I am kind of over everything I own being teal because I don’t want to buy pink, purple, blegghhh. I want mustard and rust and forest green. Anyone else?

What do YOU think is lacking in women’s apparel or gear? Do you have any great brands that you think do it well?

Olivia VitaternaOlivia Vitaterna
    Participant

Emily, you bring up a classic issue I think most of us have faced too (is it too far to say ‘all of us’ at some point have just dealt with neon purple or wearing mens/kids clothes?) Personally, I struggle finding sports bras or tops: Think non-suffocating life vests, puffies that are still puffy over the chest, or any technical top that fits both wide climber shoulders + boobs AND smaller tummy/hips. I haven’t yet found any awesome technical clothing/outer layers that accommodates bigger boobs, so if any of you ladies have something to recommend, I really want to hear it!
    I think sports bras (like those from Brooks) are doing pretty solid as far as catering to “out there” sizes, as they are literally our first layer and of all the clothing needs to address this the most. They go from bands 30 to 44 with cups A to F for EACH band size, and work from low impact activity, like climbing, to high impact, like those sprinting down hill approaches. Okay, just kidding no one does that, but they would work if you wanted to try! I’ve lived in two of their bras for like 85% of the last two years, so while they’re not cheap, they work and really last!

Keymaster

EXACTLY. Ugh. Good point bringing up bras, I have virtually no boobs so that’s something I haven’t even thought of but must be incredibly frustrating. Yay Brooks!!
    I’m still on the hunt for really solid women’s technical gear too! Hopefully it’s hiding out there somewhere haha.

Susan VennerholmSusan Vennerholm
    Participant

Ha, this thread sounds like a meatmarket dating site, lol: I’m 5’2″, 115-20 lbs, smaller boobs, ghetto booty, thighs with muscles, wider shoulders, hourglass waist, climber arm muscles and lats. Short torso, long legs for my height, 0 ape index (ratio of arm spread to height).

Jacket issues:
    Most women’s jackets are too tight in the shoulders, too long in the arms, too tight in the arms. Like they upsized Barbie as the model.

I’d love to find wider shoulders, arms with muscle room and enough length, but that don’t reach to my knees. And keep the jacket long for wind and wet and reaching while climbing.

Gloves:
    I still haven’t found the right gloves for my small hands with wide palms and shorter fingers. I’m a hybrid of all the men’s and women’s gloves out there so I have to sacrifice by either wearing too-long fingers for the right palm, or the right fingers with too tight palm.

Pants for petite gals w/booties and legs:
    I love some of Columbia’s hiking pants for climbing and hiking — they make a “short” length and fit my bountiful booty/legs well.

Bras:
    I like Champion sports bras for my small boobs with wide lats.

Packs:
    Recommended climbing pack for short torsos:
    I have a BD Speed 30 that I adore — it does have a fixed torso/shoulder strap length, but it works for my short frame. Their Speed series comes in a variety of liter volumes and in each volume are different sizes (ie: you can custom fit for torso length). For multi-pitch alpine rock, I take out the plastic frame insert and it moves really well with my body.

Recommended backpacking packs for short torsos: I love my Deuter. It adjusts for various torsos and goes way down for my 14″ torso. WIN. Super comfy.
    I also have a Gregory for bigger loads, it’s heavy but carries weight well. Again, good for short torsos.

Colors: I constantly see men’s colors and go searching for the women’s in the same… fail, fail, fail.
    Emily, I’m all IN on the mustard, rust and forest green! Clothing swap? 😀

Christina PacellaChristina Pacella
    Participant

It is next to IMPOSSIBLE for me to find climbing pants that fit. I have small(ish) waist, thick thighs and a booty. Most of the ‘big name’ brands (lookin’ @ you, Prana) don’t seem to understand how to create pants that allow width for the thighs. The only pants that kind of fit are men’s sizes, and usually the waists are so big that they slide right off. If anyone has any suggestions (preferably something that comes in fun colors!) I’d be stoked to hear them! 🙂

Also, kinda random but I’ve had pretty good luck finding decent basewear from Old Navy. I have a few pairs of high-waisted leggings that are A+.

Participant

Christina, have you checked out Kuhl for non-lycra type pants? Also, if you like to climb in lycra-type pants, Champion makes good ones for a small(ish) waist, thick thighs and a booty (my body type). I have a few pairs of their Women’s SmoothTec Capri Leggings, Women’s 6.2 Vapor Performance Leggings and Absolute Capri leggings.

Participant

I haven’t Susan, I’ll definitely look into those! Thanks! 🙂

Participant

UPDATE: Snagged a pair of Kuhl pants on sale at REI. These things are RAD, my thighs are so happy 10/10

Participant

Christina; Yay!

Finn ShortFinn Short
    Participant

wow 100% this- hah I think at least half of my stuff is teal or like sage. I buy mens tops/sweaters/jackets as much as I can (I love my dark green down sweater with the mustard trim!!) but the older I get the less often these items are fitting around my hips. I’ve had a similar pants experience as you Christina- I will have to check out the Kuhl pants! I think something I’ve really been surprised by in women’s apparel is how often they are not available in neutral colors- I would think having black as an option wouldn’t be a radical or risky decision from a marketing/sales/whatever standpoint? but so often the only options are teal/pastel/pink/purple. I find it so frustrating that when I’m doing the activities I love the most I feel the least confident/comfortable in my gender expression.

also has anyone noticed that it’s getting harder to find sports bras without padding that like sculpts and shapes your boobs? I have 3 pairs of the nike pro classic and they work for my average sized chest but don’t come in a variety of sizes.

Oh and last but not least- I also have to buy women’s climbing shoes because my feet are tiny. My fave multipitch shoes were the sportiva nagos (in blueish sage lol), which I guess got replaced this year by the salmon pink finales? It was so disappointing to see them switching to a more gendered option!

Keymaster

AMEN, Finn! I want to secretly infiltrate the gear / tech apparel industry and shake things up! How do I do that?!?! Haha! Would definitely be a passion project I could get stoked about.

Cami NessCami Ness
    Participant

I realize I’m super late to the party here lol but I happen to be an REI Advisor (basically they just send me tons of surveys and sometimes gear to test) and they are doing a whole project on sizing issues in the outdoor community. I am tall, 5’10”, and thin-ish (145lb) and I always have trouble finding pants that are both long enough and small enough in the waist, but still fit decently on my (apparently larger than “standard”) hips. REI sent a survey about this exact issue and got back to us with the results, and news that they are working not only within the Co-Op brand but others like prana, Kuhl, Coluimbia and lucy. They said to expect changes/ more extended sizing coming spring 2018.
    Just thought I’d give a little more info and share that they do hear us! Outdoors companies have finally realized that we don’t all come shaped like Lulu Lemon models *eye roll*

Keymaster

Holy shit how did you get that job!?!? Amazing. Thanks so much for the input. This is such cool news. Once again, I must admit that REI is pretty darn good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.