Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Christina Pacella
    Christina Pacella
    Participant

Howdy friends,

As much as I love the type-2 fun that is climbing in 28 degree weather, it’s getting juuust crappy enough outside where I’m spending more time at the gym than at the crag. What are some of your favorite ways to stay in climbing shape through the winter months? I’ve been bouldering and leading a lot indoors, but I’m looking for something a bit more structured. Any app recommendations or workout routines y’all like to use? 🙂

Tanager Tanager
    Tanager Tanager
    Participant

Hey! I’m a long-time climber but super new to training. Reading the Rock Climber’s Training Manual has been helping me motivate to do climbing-specific exercises. Also, “9 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakes” has been thought provoking and inspiring. I always try to work a lot on injury prevention (oppositional strength exercises and stretching) when I’m not climbing. I am trying to identify weaknesses and focus on improving in those areas and then create a plan centered around these goals. Feel free to message me if you wanna chat more! I’m just learning about all this stuff myself.

Christina Pacella
    Christina Pacella
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll have to check them out! About how many days a week do you try to get in some training? My work schedule is all over the place so I’m trying to hammer out some semblance of a routine

Tanager Tanager
    Tanager Tanager
    Participant

When I climb outdoors, I climb two on one off (with the occasional double rest day). For training, I think every other day works well for me (with the occasional double rest day). A lot of the climbing-related things I need to do can be done from home, so when I don’t feel like I have the time for actually going to the gym, I will work do a mini core work-out and then work on flexibility for an hour or so (for example). I’d say, keep a detailed log of what you do and assess it after a month. Looking back at that month might really help you see what works for you and what doesn’t! I just started logging my climbing days, workouts, with a ton of details and it’s a bit mesmerizing.

Rachel M.
    Rachel M.
    Participant

I’m going to start training in the middle of this month. I’m using the Rock Climber’s Training Manual as a guide. I also like Chicks with Picks, which has tips and plans geared toward women. Their training resources here have been helpful: https://www.chickswithpicks.net/basicrockclimbingtrainingprogram/

Christina Pacella
    Christina Pacella
    Participant

Rachel that website is EXACTLY what I’m looking for, thanks so much!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.